Life

"Listen with an open mind, but don't try to remember this stuff. There's no quiz at the end." Jack Kornfield







Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Art of Disappearing... a poem

******************************Where we come from**************************** **************************************************************************** Another of those days when I have had the time to sit down and print out a post I took time to write at work......... and then I see something that just grabs at me and says 'write this!'.

I had a IM conversation with a fellow last evening... it's perhaps the third time we've spoken, and he laughed about me being a "power user" here in Secondlife, meaning that I guess every time he logs on...there I am. During our chat he said something about me proselytizing about Buddhism {jokingly}... and of course my standard response is that as a Buddhist I don't get too excited about any one else's spiritual path......or lack thereof.

But when I came home today and picked up my mail I saw the poem below. It's printed in the February issue of The Shambala Sun magazine and reading it I had to laugh because I instantly knew I had to "proselytize" if that's what it is and reprint it.

The Art of Disappearing by Naomi Shihab Nye

When they say Don’t I know you? say no. When they invite you to the party remember what parties are like before answering.... Someone telling you in a loud voice they once wrote a poem. Greasy sausage balls on a paper plate. Then reply. If they say we should get together. say why? It’s not that you don’t love them any more. You’re trying to remember something too important to forget. Trees. The monastery bell at twilight. Tell them you have a new project. It will never be finished. When someone recognizes you in a grocery store nod briefly and become a cabbage. When someone you haven’t seen in ten years appears at the door, don’t start singing him all your new songs. You will never catch up. Walk around feeling like a leaf. Know you could tumble any second. Then decide what to do with your time. I hope you can understand how and why this spoke so gently to me And so it goes I love you all, brinda Namaste नमस्ते

No comments:

Post a Comment