Life

"Listen with an open mind, but don't try to remember this stuff. There's no quiz at the end." Jack Kornfield







Monday, December 13, 2010

One year ago...& a repost

*****************************Where we come from***************************** **************************************************************************** I've missed a day or so... ended up working 14 hours out of one 24 hours period and that took nearly a day to recover... as my Mother says, "Getting old ain't for sissies!" =^..^= I have a few things to comment on perhaps tomorrow. I spent much of this evening working with our newest... kain. Less than six weeks old and she has learned how to make a scripted door and to map its texture. Kain mentioned to me this eve that she had read Cubey Terras story, "The Oldbie" and found it incredibly sad. That started me to remembering what happened just one year ago and I think it only proper to repeat a post from that time... it was also a sad time. So, following find... A link to my post about the closing of the Mentors program and Blue Szondis comment about that post. I hope you do take time to read the above link to Cubey's story... if you've read it before... it's worth rereading. Blue Szondi said... What a lovely post brinda and thank you for the picture, it does sum up how I felt at the time. Lonely and abandoned by a company and philosophy I had worked years for. But in the end its not about you or I or the Mentors or even Linden Lab, but the newbies who are curious enough to download Second Life and log on. We have grown to love this world and want to share all the good that is and can be. So many log in for the first time and don’t see what we see and will quickly log off, uninstall SL and never give it a second look. I once heard there is a 87% attrition rate for SL. That’s barely 1 in 10 who try SL and stick around.In this world I have seen the lame dance, the mute wax poetic and the lowly thrive. SL can change peoples lives. Some for better some for worse but still if they cant understand the basics, how to open a box or pan their camera so they can see the face of their avatar, things we see as simple but so important. If they cant do those things then they will likely leave and never have a chance to know what SL can be. I was helped by a Mentor early on and was thankful. And like so many who became Mentors I wanted to share the exciting things I learned with others. Often the phrase “pay it forward” was used to describe why we mentor, and each day there is someone new who has the desire to share what they have learned as well. Becoming a Mentor wasn’t hard but did require enough enter prospective to string 500 characters together in an application describing why you wanted to be a Second Life Mentor. Now there is no standard to uphold. True anyone can mentor. But a tradition has been abandoned and a trust lost and no matter what new and innovative and “scalable” solutions LL has in mind, I can’t imagine it replacing the SL Mentors and the people who made it great. And so it goes My love to all, brinda Namaste नमस्ते

No comments:

Post a Comment