Life

"Listen with an open mind, but don't try to remember this stuff. There's no quiz at the end." Jack Kornfield







Friday, December 17, 2010

Jack Linden is going...how many are left?

*****************************Where we come from**************************** ***************************************************************************
Jack Linden is leaving Linden Lab after five years. Now I didn't know Jack Linden... I never went to his office hours and had I gone, I don't believe going to his office hours qualifies as "knowing" Jack. I've not been surprised at the dozens of people that have been wishing him Bon Voyage... I'm also not surprised when some of the good bye messages sounded like they came from Dear Close Friends. Perhaps it's just my cynical nature but I wonder how many of those so effusive in their goodbyes actually had any real time communication with Jack Linden outside Office hours, at least to the point of feeling they were a part of his life.

I only saw Jack in-world once and witnessed a reasonably long chat between he and Prokofy Neva. I will say that Jack certainly had a great sense of humour, even while joking Prok wasn't easy on him. There are those that seem to want to blame Jack for much of the failures of these last three years... I don't know. I would suspect that he was an employee, and as such he answered to a supervisor. Did he make decisions that didn't pan out well...likely. It would be the height of folly to imagine that everyone makes the right decision every time. For a quick list of Jack Lindens contributions see Prokofys Second Thoughts blog.

I have mixed emotions about Jack leaving the Lab, the continuity provided by The Old Guard is comforting at some level... but I'm trying to balance that comfort with the need for new people with a new view. What do you think?

And so it goes

My love to you all, brinda

Namaste

नमस्ते

No comments:

Post a Comment