Life

"Listen with an open mind, but don't try to remember this stuff. There's no quiz at the end." Jack Kornfield







Sunday, March 13, 2011

Our Secondlife Still Has A Culture...

*****************************Where we come from****************************** ***************************************************************************** I originally intended this post to be about how people in Secondlife learn about the latest news, or new thing, or current drama. The leading subject was to be concerning the near constant hysteria surrounding "RedZone"... and then I decided to listen to what a friend counseled a few days ago and just ignore that latest drama. Instead I want to focus on something most of us likely don't often think about... community and the culture of Secondlife. Whether there is a culture of Secondlife as opposed to there being culture in Secondlife was one of last years news stories. Tom Hale, formerly of Adobe Systems and Macromedia Executive was hired in 2008 as Chief Product Officer for Linden Lab. Here in a post from last year by Dusan Writer Mr. Hale says that he doesn't believe that a Secondlife culture, as such exists... perhaps that kind of thinking is one of the reasons Tom is no longer with The Benevolent Monarchy. I'm one of those that does understand that we as a group in Secondlife do have a culture all our own. Does our culture have as many facets as a brilliant cut diamond? Maybe more. Last evening I saw an off-line IM from one of my friends, Porter Paquot. She wanted to know if there was a parcel she could purchase, she has a friend that has had some severe medical issues and because of those issues Porter decided that it was important to all of us to bring our friend close to us. We found a suitable place and Porter rezzed a house...{see image below}. Darn you Mr. Hale, that is a culture at work. A culture of community. I recently reread some of what Mark Stephen Meadows wrote in his book, "I Avatar- The Culture and Consequences of Having a Second Life". One of the things that caught my attention was how the size and mobility of a group of people can determine its culture. He used the example of early Los Angeles where when the automobile came, communities lost their cohesiveness. Take a look at what has happened to much of Secondlife... how new people can come to a world where there are 50,000 people on line and still feel lonely. Compare that to what Pituca Fairchang has written as late as last year. Part of me wishes I had been a part of those earliest days. The rest of me is happy that I have been privileged to be a part of this at all. And so it goes My love to you all, brinda Namaste नमस्ते

No comments:

Post a Comment